"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fall Series IV (7ish miles)

We loved checking out the course map before this race.  Though I thought I understood the course, I was only right about it being in Palmer Park.  Additionally, the map reported the mileage at approximately 6.5 to 7.4 miles.  Luckily, I am familiar enough with the park to have known when the end was near.

Fall series courses always change, and comparing this to previous years, I thought it was easier.  The race runs through some of the toughest trail within Palmer Park, but I felt that some key hills were left out.  Other people, Duane included, felt the run was tough.  I thought it was pretty easy.  Which indicates that I either didn't run hard enough or I couldn't feel my legs after descending 2,000 feet of road over 13.1 miles the previous day. 

I ran this race better than all of the fall series events.  I finally understood which runners were better pacers and went out with them.  Having lost a little bit of time to another competitor in the Ute Valley race, I was mostly concerned with keeping her off my shoulder.  She, however, didn't really compete in this race, running a much slower time than usual. 

I was able to finish as 4th place overall female and 1st place in my age group.  Duane finished 1st in his age group and 11th overall.  His focus was to maintain the 1st in age group position, which let his guard down to the 11th place series runner.  Needless to say, he lost 10th overall by a few seconds in this last race.  We look forward to competing as a team in the 2012 Winter Series, but we are preparing for our next event, the Rock Canyon Half Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment