"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Canya Canyon 6K

This race is one of the toughest trail runs around.  Though it is short, the 6k is a continuous uphill climb into Cheyenne Canyon.  The race is run along the Columbine Trail, which is remarkably beautiful.  The canyon always reminds me of the ecosystem diversity within the Springs.  This area really gives you the feeling that you have drifted away from the city, though you really tread a few miles west of town. 

On the morning of the race, I recognized a few fast, local women.  However, I didn't try to maintain any of their paces and just accepted that I was racing for myself.  I did find a male that typically runs close to my pace, but after a couple hundred yards, I realized that I felt good about running faster.  After all, the lower portion of the trail defines your finish.  As you begin the mid-Columbine trail, you are climbing a series of intense switchbacks and your chances for passing runners becomes slim.  I felt excellent throughout the entire race.

At 4k into the run, I recognized the faster women ahead and realized that I must be the third female.  I finished about forty seconds behind the other two women (41:21).  This was my first local top three finish.  Duane was shocked to see me so soon.  We enjoyed a cool down run through the canyon, and finished the event with some Bristol beer and La'us tacos donated to the event.  This is definitely a great run to raise money for the canyon.  Duane and I also think it boasts the best after party around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment