"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Fall Series III (5.9ish miles)

I guess I stalled to write on the Ute Valley Park run, because it felt pretty anticlimactic.  I did pretty well, but felt defeated early on, influencing my drive to push harder.  I tried to keep with the 12 year old, and that clearly wasn't going to happen.  This resulted in my pace being too fast at the start.  Next thing I knew, I was trying to keep up with some amazingly fast local women, who passed me as a pack.  While I fought to keep some place and maintain my footing, I regrettably elbowed someone.  I still feel embarrassed about this.  I wasn't trying to be overly aggressive.  I was really trying to keep myself from falling over. 
Warmup Run
 This interaction marked my first six or seven minutes into the race.  As they passed, some guy started coaching me to run harder.  Though a nice gesture, I figured I was better off letting him pass, too.  The first mile set precedent for the remainder of my race.  I was pretty down on myself for running out of my league and for elbowing another runner.  All of this negative thought and distraction finally drew me towards one realization, I hadn't even seen any of my age group competitors.  Surely, I had missed them and they were far ahead, but the idea that they may be behind helped to pick up my pace. 

It's a bird, it's a plane...it's Gerald Romero!
 In the end, I finished first in my age group.  This wasn't because of my hard work, but was because the other girls didn't show up.  I lost a place, overall, by 5 seconds.  I blame that on all the negative thought and my "giving up" mid-race. 

I've never really raced, before now.  I've always competed to finish with my personal best.  Learning where to place myself and how to pace at the start has been a constant challenge.  Staying motivated is also difficult.  However, I think I have my race strategy for Fall Series IV, provided that I'm not too torn up from the Rim Rock Marathon Relay and travel the days before. 
Aspen spent the afternoon at home...walking to the neighbors to see the chickens.
Aspen giving you an aspen leaf!

1 comment:

  1. I still think you did well, Great job on all the training and pushing through this last year. None of though races did what you have completed this pasted year, so dont beat your self up.

    ReplyDelete