"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Winter Training - Breaking dawn, breaking trail

Breaking dawn, breaking trail in 4 inches of fresh powder is why I run. This morning I ran 14.2 miles on the Sante Fe trail. I ran north from Woodman until a little way past the Welcome to Colorado Springs sandstone sign on I-25. I saw two coyote the size of german shepherds, a herd of white tail deer and a falcon. I ran through snow flurries and moments of sunshine and more snow flurries and always, it seems, into the wind. Trudging might describe my pace since running on powder is like running through thick sand.  Still, the moments of training when the conditions are most challenging are also the most sublime.

I didn't take a camera today, but the past couple of weekends have given me some early morning stop-in-your-tracks moments. Here's a few:

Frosty Chin

 
Garden of the Gods

 
Moon setting in early morning

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome, soooo jealious. I was suppost to run this morning but backed out. I really wish I did. - amy webb

    ReplyDelete