"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Winter Series IV: Black Forest (20K)

Jaclyn writes:

This race was the last of four in the PPRR Winter Series.  Every year I approach this race with the confidence that I've been training hard and am beyond prepared, and every year I am wrong.  I seem to forget how difficult the Black Forest course is.  I think it's quite literally "uphill both ways".  The course is riddled with rolling hills, and I thought my long runs in the Garden of the Gods had me more than ready.  Quite simply, I think the Garden has hills, but they are long and steady.  Comparably, the Black Forest race has more hills that are short, sometimes steady and sometimes steep.  The hills were only part of my demise.  I think the wind is what killed my spirit.

During the first four miles or so, I regretted wearing pants and thought about the possibility of removing them.  This, obviously, was not an option.  The chaffing would be unbearable.  After four miles, the exposed dirt roads allowed for the winds to stop me in my tracks.  I, soon, was grateful for the pants.  Resistance training might've improved my pace, like pushing the stroller uphill...with Duane in it.  It was tough, but every racer deals with the same conditions.  I did not PR in this race finishing at 1:55:11 and 3rd in my age division.  I honestly don't know that I could've done anything differently.  I was sick all week and was a little too physical during our all school fitness day on Friday.  I felt defeated during the final 1.5 miles today.  Realistically, I've accomplished a lot getting back to running after the baby and pulling out of the Athena division because I've lost so much weight (I've competed in the division for the past three years).  I'm happy about my accomplishment and will be celebrating with a fine bottle of wine and a steak.  We are looking forward to A Run Through Time in Salida and Canyonlands in Moab for next month.

1 comment:

  1. "like the pushing the stroller uphill... with Duane it it" lol Congrats on placing third!

    Pam Spangler Lovett

    ReplyDelete