"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Training with Baby

Jaclyn writes:

I was fortunate to return to running so quickly after having Aspen.  There are a few things that were and still are vital to my success.  One was that I ran during my entire pregnancy.  My pace was really slow (about 12:30 min/mile), but I ran without excuse.  I stopped running at 38 weeks only to start up again at 41 weeks, as I thought it might help her out a bit.  Nonetheless, I was always active.  I would not recommend this for everyone.  I think every woman should be responsive and respectful to her own physical abilities and limitations.  I would recommend developing some activity plan, whether it be walking, water aerobics, etc.  Generally, I followed the guide that I could do whatever I was doing before the pregnancy.  I would highly recommend finding a certified prenatal yoga instructor and massage therapist.  I attended regular classes at Westside Yoga.  Not only was this great for my physical and mental health, but it also allowed a great outlet for bonding with other soon-to-be mommies.  As always, an expectant mommy should check with her health care provider for any physical activity.

Aspen and I completing my Level 2 instructor training at Shoshoni (36 weeks)
 I returned to physical activity soon after pregnancy, trusting how my body felt.  I began running and walking a week after my natural birth, again, not something I would recommend for everyone.  This was contrary to my doctor's "cookie cutter" instructions.  I ran my first half marathon 10 weeks after birth.  I feel my biggest challenge with my return has been finding a balance with work, activity, and baby time.  When the weather is nice, we can take Aspen on our runs.  I researched Bob Strollers to make this possible.  While most people recommend the traditional swivel wheel design, I felt that the Sport Utility was more our speed.  The tire diameter and width is bigger with more of an off-road style.  Duane has even taken it up the backside of Section 16.  We did end up with a flat within the second month of regular use caused by a thorn.  We've since reinforced the tire and put a goo inside of the tubes.  We've also added a lot of lights to the stroller for evening runs.  We mounted a bike spotlight to the handle of our car seat and rear red flashing light to the bottom.  (I would recommend the Bob infant attachment piece.)  We've also put bike spoke LED lights on each wheel.  The front tire on the Sport Utility stroller is fixed, but you aren't suppose to run without locking the swivel wheel on the traditional design, anyhow.



The other necessity for getting back into shape has been the support of family.  Because, on those really cold nights or long training runs, you need to leave the baby at home.  Having a solid support system, between my mom, father-in-law, and sister-in-law, has allowed me to get back into my running goals.  When no one is available, Duane and I alternate running days or times.  We've also quit 24 Hour Fitness to join our YMCA for a multitude of reasons.  The childwatch is great and they will take her this young.  The locations are better, closer to work and home.  The classes are at earlier hours, more regular, and spinning bikes are never full.  Finally, we're excited for their kid programs including infant swim that we will be starting in the spring.

I would not recommend this for most preggos!  (34 weeks)
 Overall, I've been really fortunate to return to running and fitness goals.  I've lost all of my baby weight and an additional 20 pounds that I had packed on before the baby.  Four months after birth, I'm in better shape than I've been in a long time (though, I still do qualify as an "Athena").  I attribute this to maintaining fitness goals before, during and after pregnancy, ignoring pregnancy myths around food and cravings, and breastfeeding.  Any woman, who takes the health of herself and her baby seriously, is capable of doing the same.  Let's start a revolution!

1 comment: