"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rescue Run 10K

Today's Rescue Run (results) was a great time, as always, and a great way to bring in the new year.  Race entries benefit the local Search and Rescue, which plays a crucial role in a lot of the crazy events runners participate in year round, in addition to all of their other responsibilities.  Really, we are all in debt to these fine volunteers.  Another great thing about the Rescue Run is the beautiful scenery, Pikes Peak was astounding this morning under the fresh snow and sun.  I really enjoy running on the trails in Palmer Park, but this race involves more roadways and wider trails of the upper mesa, which is nicer this time of year.  The race is rolling hills for the entire course and includes a short out and back section.  It can be run as a 5K or a 10K.

We encountered our first pre-race baby challenge.  Between icy morning roads, our sitter and time we ran to the starting line with one minute to the start of the race (Aspen stayed home for this adventure).  It was a jumble, but I think this got our adrenaline pumping and improved our times, overall.  It was a cold run, starting around 12 degrees and ending at 17 degrees.  However, with no wind and a good amount of sun, I think I overdressed in a pretty heavy duty base layer.


I felt really strong throughout this 10K.  My time, last year, was 1:00:30 and I had been disappointed with this slow time.  I ran hard, but having put on some extra holiday pounds and being pregnant (though I was unaware) my time was unexpected.  I know being a couple of weeks pregnant shouldn't make a difference, and maybe it truly was the weight, but I seemed to have immediately slower times on races and training runs.  My time this year significantly improved (54:43).  I'm 20 pounds lighter than I was before the baby last year, which I attribute to a healthy lifestyle and breastfeeding.  I'm excited to see what difference this will play in my races throughout the year.  I'm also proud to be the 16th female finisher and 3rd in my age group.  Though, if you see the results, I'm nowhere near competing with the other ladies.  If I changed anything from today's race, it'd be carrying some water and dressing in my lighter base layer.  I know a 10K is short, but I seem to be struggling with staying hydrated for running and breastfeeding.  I don't know that I will find a balance with this issue.  On a separate note, I wore Yak Trax throughout the race, which might only give me an inflated sense of self confidence on ice, but I was able to keep a good pace and never slip.  I haven't worn these during a race in years, and forgot about some screw shoes I made.  I think I would've preferred them over the Yak Trax.

Duane had an amazingly strong race.  Last year, he had a strong finish at 42:21, 11th overall and 5th in his age group.  This year, he completed the race at 40:12, 6th overall and 2nd in his age group. He started about three rows deep next to Eric Peterson who has always been his closest pacer. A bunch of kids and women were in front. At the start he was about 30 people behind, but he shot up the side and almost tripped in the thick snow. By the time he hit the road he was about 12th overall and it was hard for him to really know who was who because the 5kers and the 10kers were packed together.

He passed one young racer who usually beats him and was gaining on Gerald Romero, one of the strongest and nicest local runners when he realized he was at the very front of the pack.  Before the top of the hill he was in front of Romero, but quickly lost the position as Romero sprinted down toward the mesa. For the next two miles he chased Romero, closer to him this far in a race then he had ever been before. Romero passed the fifth place guy before mile 3 and Duane took the same position before mile 4.

At the farthest water station Duane was encouraged by one of the aid workers, a guy named Paul who is a strong local runner who Duane met when they ran an Incline Club training together. Since then Paul's often beaten Duane in local races. Getting to know other racers and encouraging the ones who are often your closest competitors is one of the neatest outcomes from running local races.

Finally, still on Romero's heels, Duane reigned in a little on the last icy downhill, and Romero kept the lead. Far enough in front of the next racer to be safe, Duane still tried to kick the last 1/2 K to push up to Gerald, but deep snow and the drain from the fastest pace he had ever run a 10k in stole the kick away. At the final corner, Duane watched Romero disappear into the final lane, seconds before he would do the same himself. Romero was there of course, huge smile and warm handshake ready.

Overall, the Rescue Run was a fun way to bring in 2011.  After all, they say whatever you do today will really set the pace for the year to come.  Next weekend starts the Winter Series in Cheyenne Mountain State Park.  This is a beautiful and tough trail run.  The series has a short and long division.  Of course, we will be running the long series, which includes a 10K, 8mi, 10mi and 20K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment