"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Monday, June 25, 2012

Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon...and the space in between

I haven't updated this blog in awhile for many reasons, but mostly because coaching track stole a lot of my free time.  I didn't really race during the spring, and used most of my time to train for Lake to Lake.  I competed in a few short events after placing 2nd in the long Winter Series.  I ran the Take 5 in the Garden, finishing 7th, 4 for Mom finishing 2nd and Sailin' Shoes finishing 11th.  I was hoping to break 20 minutes during Sailin' Shoes, but I truthfully hadn't worked on my speed enough, being that my focus was finishing Lake to Lake.  I finished in 21:12, rather disappointing considering I thought breaking 21 was a given.

For the summer, I've decided to focus on getting fast.  I'd really like to break 20 minutes in a 5k, even though that goal makes me feel overwhelmed because it means a lot of hot track workouts...which are mostly painful and frustrating.  In addition to working on speed, I'm going to slow down with a stronger yoga practice and end the summer with a stay at Shoshoni.

I felt really prepared for Lake to Lake this year.  Having many multisport days, I would swim in the early a.m. and immediately take off on a distance ride or run.  I also had a long ride day followed by a 5 mile run about three times before the event.  My longest day was a 30 mile ride on the USAFA and a 5 mile flat run two weeks before the event.  One week before the event, I mostly practiced yoga and had a short swim, ride and run all on separate days.

I completed the same triathlon, last year, finishing in about 3:10 and somewhere over the 100th female.  I loved the bike course, that wound around Horsetooth Reservoir for a grueling climb and speedy downhill.  The course was completely different this year, because of the High Park Fire, but the ride was still beautiful.  The ride was reduced to 24 miles, while the run was reduced (because of construction) to 5.1 miles.  I finished the race in 2:23:58.  A significant amount of the time difference is because of the shorter course, but I think I also made a great improvement athletically, which is evident from comparing my paces and places.  I swam the 1500 m. in 35:17 compared to 38:54 a year ago.  This was the greatest surprise and biggest focus of the year...now if I could just get below 30 minutes.  My ride was 18 mph last year, and improved to 21 mph this year.  I'm attributing this to Velma (my bike).  Finally, I ran a 7:19 pace this year and a 7:42 pace last year.  Overall, I finished 45th, which is a significant improvement.

Before the race, I thought to myself, "I love being a triathlete, but I hate triathlons."  I really like to swim, bike and run in any combination at any time of day, but waking up on a cold morning to endlessly swim in a lake towards buoys that I can't even see in the glare of the rising sun makes my nerves tingle.  I felt great immediately after the race (especially after running straight for the lake to cool off).  I even considered competing, again, this summer.  Truthfully, I would if someone would pay my entry fee :)  I still feel great and never felt sore or tired from the event, which is alarming.  I think I could have pushed harder on the bike course, while still maintaining my pace for the run.  I was mostly riding within my comfort zone during the ride, and being that my swim was so slow, I was trying to pass without being overly aggressive.

I won't compete in a triathlon, again, this season, and I'm hoping to be pregnant for next season.  I'll continue being a multisport athlete, but I will be sticking to running races for the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment