"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rocky Mountain State Games (sprint triathon)

I'm happy I competed in a shorter distance triathlon, but this isn't a race that I would recommend and I will not compete in this tri again. While the race was cheaper and closer than most tris, I felt that it was poorly organized and lacked essential communication during the event. I wasn't a huge fan of the course, either.

Most of the volunteers seemed pretty unfamiliar with triathlon events. Throughout the race, I was unsure of whether or not I was on the right track. The swim was good. Most people i've talked to about this race are nervous about swimming Prospect Lake. It was brown and cloudy, but the temperature was comfortable and I didn't seem to have any issues (skin, etc) afterwards.

The bike event was a little irritating. You begin in a loop course, which I didn't think was communicated...so I felt like I had started in the wrong place. After awhile, it is evident that you will be circling a three + mile course four times. No signs indicated this during the event. Some of the turns were tight, and it wasn't easy to get a good, strong pace.

The run looped the lake twice. However, that wasn't communicated, either. After I crossed the finishing mat once, I was approached to turn in my timing chip. I didn't wear my Garmin, so I didn't know that I should keep going. Everything worked out in the end, but it was irritating.

Overall, i'm still swimming really slowly. I feel much more comfortable in open water after taking some swim classes, but I just need to learn how to pace myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment