"In these bodies, we will live. In these bodies, we will die. Where you invest your love, you invest your life." Mumford & Sons

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fear the Deer Half-Marathon

Jaclyn writes:

If I could only race in one race next year, it would be Fear the Deer.  When I saw the previous year pics online, I thought the colors had to have been Photoshopped.  About 0.5 miles into the race, I discovered that they weren't.  This stretch of trail was amazingly green and lush with fresh wildflower growth.  At times, I forgot where I was...Section 16, Palmer Park, Barr Trail, Intemann Trail?  The terrain and the views were so amazing, that I found myself lost in the art of running. 

The race was small.  With a 90 person cap, only about 50 actually ran.  This was a bonus, as the 13.1 miles (which my Garmin calculated at closer to 12.6) were all trail and all single track (except for the 200 yard parking lot start).  The run followed various trails in Deer Creek Canyon.  The first four miles climbed, followed by rolling hills, more climbing, rolling hills, and a switchback downhill finish.  There was one aid station about 2 miles into the race, that runners passed again at 8 miles.  Immediately following that aid station was the steepest part of the uphill climb, which runners completed twice. 

I had a strong finish at 2:07:40 something, as the third overall female.  Duane finished fourth overall and also had a great race.  The after-party had tons of giveaways and food from Garbanzos. 

Our next races are the Lake to Lake Triathlon (for me) and the Hellacious Trail Run (for Duane).

No comments:

Post a Comment